Oct. 29, 2014 Live from the road

Wilpena Pound, SA - Jamestown, SA

Reported by Felix Lindner, Prabuddha Nicol, Yashodevi Samar 221.0 km

Team A – We are back on the road today, after our rejuvenating day off in Wilpena Pound ...

... and a good road it is!

This was the first day since we started from Uluru where we have seen more than three cars on the road ...

... surprisingly, it was feeling much too much to see every minute one car ...

... though we where happy all the trucks made good space for us to run.

Some cars were off-road.

We are now in wheat country.

At the height of the day we saw countless small white snails on dry grass near the road. It looked as though someone had arranged that for us, like a flower arrangement.

Roadside minstrel.

The Flinders Ranges are now alongside us, gradually receding.

As we made a short stop in Orroroo we saw this wonderful old church with red and white roses in the front yard: they were looking like big red balls of flowers and had the wonderful smell of the rose.

In town we found the best ice cream house imaginable. The decoration was so lovely, harmonious and in a fresh old style.

I can only recommend to everyone to visit there once in your life! They serve the BEST homemade icecream.

On our way out we saw these specially decorated Christmas trees, ranging from elks to a red tree.

In this marvellous establishment of delicious homemade foods we met two ladies who liked the ideals of the Peace Run so much that they liked to have a picture with all of us, taken right at the entrance – after we had filled our stomachs with the best icecream!

On our way out, we encountered the girls team arriving – bees to a honey pot.

Team B – yes we DID enjoy the ice cream! Having finished our km for the day, we thought to stop in Orroroo for a little break. The homemade ice-cream was great reward after running all day. Smiling faces with the ice-cream in the hands – we are all little kids after this.

We loved Wilpena Pound a lot, maybe that’s why we spent 20 minutes extra there this morning – during which all members of our team were desperately looking for the key to our van! That was a good morning wake-up exercise. Eventually we found it and were on the road in just a few minutes.

The day had started with the sunshine, which meant that for a change, we hadn’t had to be on the road at 5 am.

Our team had just 65 km to run. It was interesting today for us, as we had two turns to make! (that's two more than we've been used to) ...

... The night before we had looked over the maps and some were concerned that the team would get lost. But never fear, we got to the end of the road and the sign said you could either go to Marree – where we had been a few days ago, or Port Augusta with big letters telling us the road we were going on.

After our day off all the team seemed to be filled with so much more energy. The day was hotter than yesterday, but with fresh legs we all took off and our kms seemed to just fly by.

Hastakamala practising her video skills, for a video which will ultimately be put together of the Run.

As we have been out of all phone and internet contact for so long we were not aware of a fire ban that was in place for our section today. Luckily the friendly fire department were able to contact us and let us know that we are not able to run with a torch alight today. They even kindly looked over our schedule over the next week to check what other days this might affect us, as each district has a different date of when fire bans come into place and summer approaches. So if you see the torch unlit for a few days you now know why.

Even though we didn’t have a flame in the torch, we carried the flame in our hearts.

Team C - Our team leaves Wilpena Pound and drives to Ororoo where it begins its leg of the day’s running.

The countryside has changed from wilderness to rolling hills of wheat crop and occasional fields of sheep.

The day is warm but the breeze is cool enough to keep everyone running happily.

With an extra support vehicle, the team can cover the ground faster ...

... this is good but gives a shorter period for each runner between stints to recover.

This far into the Run however, the team members are up to the challenge.

There is not much traffic on the road but many drivers toot and wave, as does the driver of a huge freight train that passes by.

Suddenly we are stopped in our tracks. Word comes through that a total fire ban is in place in this region.

It is a shame to run with the torch unlit but perhaps it would be more of a shame to burn down the nation’s wheat crop.

We all soon arrived in Jamestown at Gladstone Caravan Park, our home for the night in Jamestown. Gwen greeted us – well, after her two dogs did. Gwen kindly showed us around her lovely Caravan Park and we all soon pitched our tents and relaxed in this lovely place. Thank you so much, Gwen, for your warm welcome and generous heart!

Checking on what the Peace Run team has been up to.

Our tents were located on the beautiful grass field with flowers around – so wonderful after the desert!

Duck gallery ...

Torch carried by
Bayarkhuu Batbayar (Mongolia), Dhiraja Mc Bryde (New Zealand), Felix Lindner (Switzerland), Hastakamala Diaz (Australia), Kaspars Zakis (Latvia), Niribili File (New Zealand), Nurari Merry (Great Britain), Prabhakar Street (Canada), Prabuddha Nicol (Australia), Pranava Runar Gigja (Iceland), Rathin Boulton (Australia), Simahin Pierce (Australia), Stacey Marsh (New Zealand), Vilasin Webber (Australia), Yashodevi Samar (Ukraine).  
Kaspars Zakis, Prabhakar Street , Stacey Marsh
The torch has travelled 221.0 km from Wilpena Pound, SA to Jamestown, SA.

Latest reports from Australia - 2023

view all

Latest reports - around the world:

view all